Sunday, August 5, 2007

Xie Xie + Zài Jyèn (thank you + goodbye).

A peaceful garden just outside the Forbidden City.

I hope you have enjoyed this look into China, the red star rising. It has certainly been a pleasure to experience and share with you. I would like to say Xie Xie (thank you) to AJ for coming to DC a day early so we could hang out before i left, to Sarah for allowing me to borrow her mandarin books, to Annai for use of his phrasebook (it proved invaluable), to Brad and Sarah for being so good to me in Beijing, to Swan for the translation assistance, to Simone for his insights on China and women, to Mom for never missing a beat, to Sochieta for her inspiration, to Dave for showing me the real BJ nightlife, to Karl and Amy for being so awesome, to Cassie for being such a good commenter, and last but not least.. THANK YOU for reading!

Before i let you go, i'd like to share a few verses with you from my favorite book and regular source of inspiration, the Tao te Ching.

~ verse 6 ~

the Tao is called the Great Mother;
empty yet inexhaustible,
it gives birth to infinite worlds.
.
it is always present within you.
you can use it any way you want.

Offerings to the Gods at the altar of a Taoist temple.

~ verse 33 ~

knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.
.
if you realize that you have enough,
you are truly rich.
if you stay in the center
and embrace death with your whole heart,
you will endure forever.

Modernity towers over tradition in the coastal city of Qingdao.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great adventure John - thanks for a great job sharing it with everyone. ILY, Mom

Anonymous said...

I dislike to greet goodbye. I like the way Chinese says it - "zai jian" because it means more than just a goodbye. I always wish to meet again when I bid farewell :)

John, I am wondering why is it the red star rising?