Thursday, July 12, 2007

Tai Chi + Chinese Fitness.

Welcome to Ritan Park.

If you really want to get a feel for Chinese culture, a visit a city park in the morning is an absolute must. The local park is a place that is buzzing with activity, with groups of people practicing tai chi to couples practicing dance steps, friends playing ping-pong or people working out on the parks many “exercise machines.” In some place, calligraphers write Chinese characters on the sidewalk with sponge brushes and water, the ultimate exercise in impermanence. Elderly men bring their birds in cages, and while the men sit and catch up with one another, it is said that the birds get their workout by clinging to their perches.

Large groups practice taijiquan.

Women practice their dance steps.

On Saturday I got up at 6am to meet my taijiquan (tai chi) instructor at the large park near my apartment called Ritan Park. My colleague at the Embassy put me in touch with her son’s martial arts instructor, Dong Li Jian. Full of energy and extremely strong, Dong agreed to meet me for an introductory lesson to tai chi. Although he doesn’t speak English, and my mandarin is basic at best, we were able to communicate with hand signals and pantomime. After all, much of tai chi is based on imitating the motions of those around you.

Ping pong is extremely popular in China.

Advanced practitioners perform tai chi exercises with swords

Parallel bars, anyone?

Tai chi is widely practiced in China, and it is not uncommon to see folks well into their 60s and 70s moving fluidly with the motions of the group. I was attracted to tai chi for its meditative element. However, tai chi is still a martial art, and significant attention is given to posture and correct form. It is similar to yoga in that your entire concentration is focused on the motions of your body and your breathing, while the tensions of everyday life are simply pressed from your mind.

Practicing taijiquan with my instructor.

Dong Li Jian and I.

After my lesson with Dong, I strolled through the park and was both amazed and amused by what I encountered. More than anything, I couldn’t believe the level of physical activity by people of all ages. I have never seen this is any other country, and cannot even imagine Americans exercising together en masse on a Saturday morning. The trail near my house sees people jogging or biking on the weekends, but here many of the activities are done in groups. Collectivists vs. Individualists.. perhaps?

See below for some additional photos and several videos!

Exercise machines in full effect.

Gearing up for the Olympics!

Some folks playing cards.

VIDEOS!

Man practicing his ribbon flow.


Exercise machines in action!


I love this one.


I call this one the "butt machine."


And you thought Jazzercise was exciting.


The Chinese version of hackey sack.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting - some strange text inserts in places though. (Thought you'd like to know.) Always keeping busy, John - a world of opportunities. ILY

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for the videos. particularly the one of the swinging couple, its fantastic! i laughed and i laughed.

i'm going to watch it again after i finish writing this comment.

Anonymous said...

LOVE this! Johnny 5, thank you thank you thank you! the videos, are absolutely fantastic! keep 'em coming!

J

Anonymous said...

This is great reading! I can't wait to hear more of your time in China.